Download MP3 [15:12]
Cynthia Conley, Ph.D., MSW
References and Resources
- Debt and Loan information
- Bachelor's level social workers have an average loan debt of $18,609.
- Master's level social workers have an average loan debt of $26,777.
- Doctoral level social workers have an average loan debt of $32,841.
- In 2001 the median salary of social workers with 2-4 years experience was $35,600.
- In 2008 the median salary of social workers is approximately $40,000
- Over 20% of social workers make less than $30,000 per year.
- On July 31, Congress passed Higher Education Reauthorization and Opportunity Act, and President Bush signed it into law on August 14th. H. R. 4137 includes loan forgiveness for social workers.
- http://www.bls.gov/ - U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- http://www.payscale.com/ - Pays scale, gives rate of pay according to level of experience, skill sets etc.
- http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html - pay rates for federal job hunters
- Conley, C. L., Buckingham, S. L., & Huber, R. (in press). Does salary negotiation reduce social work's gender-based income gap? Implications for Social Work Education. Journal of Teaching Social Work.
- Zarrella, D. (2006). Public Comments of the National Association of Social Workers to the Department of Education. National Association of Social Workers. Retrieved December 7, 2008 from http://www.socialworkers.org/advocacy/letters/2006/110806.asp
APA (6th ed) citation for this podcast:
Singer, J. B. (Producer). (2008, December 8). #47 - Salary negotiation: Interview with Cynthia L. Conley, Ph.D. Social Work Podcast [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from http://www.socialworkpodcast.com/2008/12/salary-negotiation-interview-with.html